2nd Street Studio of Dance Handbook 2018-2019
Firstly, thank you for choosing 2nd Street Studio of Dance. We are a completely noncompetitive studio focused on learning proper dance technique, providing performance opportunities, and having fun! Please read through to learn more about our policies. Please let us know if you have any questions and we’d be happy to answer them. Thank you in advance!
- All communications will be sent through email. We also will be using the Remind App!
- Please check your spam or promotions folder as our business email address may be filtered to one of these folders.
- It is your responsibility to keep up with studio policies, deadlines, performance info, and requirements.
- We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please ask!
- You have access to a Customer Portal in which you may check class registrations, pay fees, change billing information, and more. Please utilize this great feature!!
- If you would like a print out of any information, please stop by the office.
- If you unsubscribe from our list, we are unable to re-subscribe you, and you will end up missing all important notifications. If you leave the studio and then decide to return, we are still unable to re-subscribe you unless you have a different email address.
- Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date at: https://www.facebook.com/2ndStreetStudioofDance
- The easiest way to reach us is by email, but you may also call us at 248-266-6026.
- There is a yearly nonrefundable registration fee of $20 per student or $30 per family.
- Session Tuition is due by the 10th of the month.
- Camp tuition is due by the first day of camp.
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Master Card, and Discover. We do NOT take American Express.
- Please write name on all cash or checks placed in tuition drop box by the front office.
- Don’t want to keep up with the monthly payments, sign up for automatic billing!
- Tuition not paid within 5 days of the due date will incur a $15 late fee.
- Bounced checks will incur a $25 fee.
- Discounts cannot be combined.
- Tuition is the same each month no matter the number of weeks.
- We do not prorate tuition for any reason, but you may take a makeup class (see Make Up Policy).
- Registered adult students may purchase Class Cards. There is a 5 class card for $65 and a 10 class card for $100. Class cards are already discounted; therefore, no further discounts can be applied. These may be purchased in the front office and are not available online.
- Tuition is broken down by month and length of class as follows:
- Fall Tuition:
- 35 minute class is $36.50 per month
- 45 minute class is $46.50 per month
- 60 minute class is $51.50 per month
- 75 minute class is $56.50 per month
- 90 minute class is $60.50 per month
- Multiple Class/Family Discount
Persons or Families with 2-3 Classes get 10% off
Persons or Families with 4-5 Classes get 15% off
Persons or Families with 6+ Classes get 20% off
Unlimited Class Rate of $300 per month
Unlimited rate also includes Ballet Company, Halloween, and Pom Squad fees, but does not include camps, Nutcracker, or Spring Company.
- Prepay Discount- Prepay for the full year and get an additional discount!
- Pay in September for the full 9 month recital session tuition and get an additional 5% off! This tuition is nonrefundable.
Session Commitment Policy
- When you sign up for a session, you are committed to the entire length of the session and 2nd Street Studio of Dance will bill tuition accordingly.
- It is unfair to the students and the teacher of the class to have to change choreography and positions if you decide to drop out. Please sign up for a recital class only if you are prepared to commit to the whole recital session and performance. We offer non-recital classes and 8-week mini session classes for those wanting less of a commitment.
- Fall Recital Session runs from Sept-May with recital in June.
- Winter Recital Session runs from Jan-May with recital in June.
- Cancellations of a recital session class made after March 2nd will incur an early termination fee of $65.
- Camps, Mini Sessions, and Summer Session fees are paid in full upfront.
- See cancellation and refund policy below.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- If enrollment requirements are not met, 2nd Street Studio may have to cancel a class. You will be notified of this cancellation and refunded any tuition paid.
- If you wish to cancel your enrollment it is your responsibility to notify us.
- To cancel you must submit an official cancellation request form to our office prior to your next tuition payment being due. Forms are available in the office or may be emailed.
- YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A REFUND FOR ANY FEES CHARGED PRIOR TO YOU SUBMITTING AN OFFICIAL CANCELLATION REQUEST FORM.
- Registration fees, costume fees, tickets, and camp deposits are nonrefundable.
- Cancellations of a recital session class made after March 2nd will incur an early termination fee of $65.
Inclement Weather Policy
- We use our discretion when deciding whether to cancel classes or not, and do NOT always go with the school system's decisions. We also sometimes have no power etc. where we will have to close.
- How do you find out if we have classes or not? We always send an email, use the Remind App, update our website, and post on Facebook if there are any cancellations.
- Connect with us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2ndStreetStudioofDance/
- Makeup classes ARE permitted for days we close due to weather or power related closures. See makeup class policy below.
- Makeup classes are permitted within 2 months of the missed class in an appropriate level class
- Makeup classes may be taken whenever a student misses a scheduled class, or there is an unexpected closure due to weather/power. They may not be taken for studio wide breaks such as Winter Break or Spring Break. Please check the calendar http://www.2ndstreetdance.com/studio-calendar/
Waiting Room/Studio Room Policies
- We have a no bullying policy for students and parents. We want to maintain a positive family environment, and those who break this policy may be asked to leave the studio.
- It is your responsibility to supervise your children before and after class times. 2nd Street Studio of Dance is not responsible for incidences that occur outside of a student’s class period.
- 2nd Street Studio of Dance is not liable for loss of personal property. We do have a lost and found. Please check with the front office if you have lost something.
- Please be respectful of all classes. Doors may be open for parents to see in. Please keep noise down and avoid distracting others by the door or in the windows.
- Remember to use the bathroom BEFORE class!
- Parents of children 5 and under please be available for bathroom emergencies! Teachers cannot watch the class and take your child to the bathroom at the same time!
- Students are not allowed into studios until the teacher has invited them in.
- Students in class are not allowed out of the studio unless they ask first.
- NO FOOD in the studio rooms.
- Please BRING A WATER BOTTLE! We unfortunately do not have a water fountain. Water ONLY is allowed in studios.
- No street shoes allowed on studio floors. Hip Hop shoes must not be worn outside.
- Regular attendance is essential to progress and maintain technique as well as to be up to date on any choreography learned.
- Students late 10 mins or more will be asked to observe class only. It is important for safety to participate in the warm up portion of class.
- We ask that if students miss more than one class in a row, that you call or email the studio to let us know.
- Students may be deemed unready to perform in the recital due to absences, especially those that occur within the last 6 weeks before the recital performance. This decision is at the teacher's discretion.
- All camps require a $25 nonrefundable deposit to secure your place.
- The remainder of camp tuition is due on the first day of camp.
- The deposit is nonrefundable. If there is an emergency and you cannot attend please contact us.
Additional Performance Opportunities
- Opportunities include The Incredible Nutcracker, Halloween Dances, Spring Dance Company, Pom Squad, and Summer Dance Company!
- Check your email for updates on audition and sign up dates and requirements.
- Detailed description for each style of class is listed below.
- We implement a dance dress code.
- Sometimes things can happen, and we understand, but we are still trying to promote a certain level of professionalism and while sometimes exceptions must be made, if this becomes an ongoing problem you may be asked to sit out.
- Our dress code reflects the standard for most other dance establishments as well as promotes modesty.
- Dance warm ups are permitted on cold days.
- NO JEWERLY for safety purposes.
- All dancewear and shoes can be purchased at:
Tutus and Tendus
120 E University Dr. Suite B
Rochester, MI 48307
- Miss Cindy started Tutus and Tendus due to the need of a quality dancewear store in the area. When you purchase your dance items there, you are also helping support the studio as well as the teachers and students who work there. It is conveniently located only a couple blocks away from the studio. Tutus and Tendus has great quality products at an affordable price, and you are helping out your studio and teachers!
- Mommy and Me Classes- Comfortable athletic clothing to move around in. Ballet shoes are recommended for less slipping but not required.
- Ballet & Tumble Classes- Pink leather or canvas ballet shoes, leotard of choice, tights, skirt optional, hair pulled back off face.
- Ballet/Tap Classes- Pink leather or canvas ballet shoes, black patent tap shoes with bow, leotard of choice, tights, skirts optional, hair pulled back from face.
- Ballet and Pointe Classes- Pink leather or canvas ballet shoes, NO SOCKS, pink tights, leotard of choice, ballet skirt or dance shorts (optional), Ballet Levels 1-5 HAIR IN BUN.
- Jazz Classes- Tan leather slip-on jazz shoes, NO SOCKS, leotard or tight athletic top, tights or leggings, shorts(optional), NO BRA TOPS, NO BOOTY SHORTS WITHOUT TIGHTS, hair in ponytail or bun.
- Tap Classes- black lace up oxford style tap shoes, leotard or tight athletic top, tights or leggings, shorts or dance skirt (optional), hair in ponytail or bun.
- Hip Hop Classes- Clean sneakers NOT WORN OUTSIDE, comfortable athletic clothing, NO JEANS, hair in ponytail or bun.
- Modern Classes- no shoes, NO SOCKS, leotard or tight athletic top, tights or leggings, shorts(optional), NO BRA TOPS, NO BOOTY SHORTS WITHOUT TIGHTS, hair in ponytail or bun.
- Lyrical Classes- Please consult with your teacher for shoe choice. Leotard or tight athletic top, tights or leggings, shorts(optional), NO BRA TOPS, NO BOOTY SHORTS WITHOUT TIGHTS, hair in ponytail or bun.
- Acro Classes- No shoes, leotard with footless tights or biketard/unitard, shorts optional, hair in ponytail or bun.
Dance Clothing/Hair Tips
- Starting with Ballet 1 and up, NO UNDERWEAR UNDER TIGHTS, it can be embarrassing to have it sticking out from under the leotard
- Cut off ballet shoe strings and tape them to the top inside of the shoe. Teachers do not want to spend all of class tying shoes!
- PUT NAME ON EVERYTHING!!
- Try using a Bun Builder or Hairigami for an easier way to make the perfect bun every time!
Recital and Costumes
- All recital classes will participate in the year end show.
- Students are not required to perform in the recital, but it is encouraged as students who do not participate often feel left out as class time is used to practice. Please consider signing up for a non-recital class if not interested in performing in the recital.
- We put on multiple shows to accommodate seating for attendees as well as shorten the overall running time of the shows.
- If you have multiple students or classes, they may be performing in separate shows.
- Please keep the entire week of recital (TBA!) available as your show time and dress rehearsal time will be determined as we get closer to the show date. SAVE THE DATES AND PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
- Each recital class will have a costume fee ranging between $55-85 which will be due in November.
- The costume fee includes shipping, taxes, accessories, and one pair of tights per style required.
- Costume purchases are nonrefundable.
- There is a late fee of $20 per costume ordered late to cover additional shipping.
- We measure for costumes during class time and give a few inches of growing room when determining the size.
- We will gladly show you the sizing chart if you are worried about the size.
- There is a $20 re-shipping fee for anyone wishing to exchange their costume for a different size.
- Some combination classes have two costume purchases. Please consult the printed schedule or the office if you are unsure if your class will have two costumes.
- You will be responsible for the purchase of tickets if you wish to attend the performance. Tickets are sold in order to pay for the large costs of putting on the production itself. If you have children in multiple shows, you will need to purchase tickets for each show you wish to attend.
- Recital packets with detailed information will be passed out and emailed many months before the show so that you may plan accordingly.